Re: Moving to UNIX

  • Subject: Re: Moving to UNIX
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2005 08:05:10 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
__/ [Flashes of Sky] on Sunday 20 November 2005 02:12 \__

> mst wrote:
>> On Sat, 19 Nov 2005 10:01:06 -0600 Darwin <jetta02@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>

>>>I have an older laptop, 266 MHZ processor, 80 MB ram with a 2G hard
>>>drive. I want to rid that system of windoze 98SE and load up a full
>>>blown unix variant. So, wise users of unix, which one would give me the
>>>best bang for my buck? Free is my only option, so please be kind. Thank
>>>you all for your wise advice.
>>

>> http://www.distrowatch.com
>>
>> SUSE, Mepis, Ubuntu/kubuntu
>>

> Ubuntu only if you can survive with less than 1G of hard disk space
> left, my reccomendation is mostly Mepis.

I  tried Ubuntu on a Windows 98 laptop (Compaq Presario) a month ago.  The
machine  had only 32MB of RAM, so Ubuntu could not proceed with  installa-
tion  successfully.  Nonetheless, as was already said, you could go for  a
variety of distros, but do not rely on much free disk space.

SuSE is probably too heavy and comprehensive. Ubuntu would be more respon-
sive.  There  are also a variety of damn small Linux distributions,  which
you  might  want to consider seriously. I wouldn't trust them as  much  as
Ubuntu though. For good hardware probing and detection, which is important
for laptops in particular, Ubuntu would be excellent.

Good luck,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    $> sudo root; cd /; rm -rf *.doc
  7:55am  up 17 days  3:49,  4 users,  load average: 0.45, 0.74, 0.69