Re: Are Free Subdomains Worth Anything?

  • Subject: Re: Are Free Subdomains Worth Anything?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 04:01:22 +0000
  • Newsgroups: alt.internet.search-engines
__/ [John Bokma] on Sunday 20 November 2005 22:47 \__

> "whitesmith" <apasserby@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm the psychologist who got some good directions here from a previous
>> question, so I'm back with two others.
>>
>> I've noticed that some hosting services (prohosting.com is one) offer
>> free webhosting and free domain names to webmasters who agree to accept
>> banner advertising and also accept a name constructed along the lines
>> of my_name.their_prefix.their_domain_name.com.
>>
>> My questions: First, does a banner ad hurt me in any way with Google?
>> Second, since I only get a subdomain and not a real domain of my own,
>> will it ever be possible to build up PR by getting backlinks from
>> relevant sites?
>>
>> My suspicion is that free sitea are worth exactly what they cost, but
>> perhaps I'm cynical.
>
> For a commercial site? What do your visitors think of you?

In the long run, you might wish to incorporate elements that require site
ownership. You may start with a very rudimentary page, but things expand in
due time.

Many bloggers from Blogspot, Typepad, Blogger, LiveJournals and so forth have
moved to their own domain with a Drupal, or WordPress, or TextPattern
installation. When I started my site it was merely a small collection of
pages and it was only last year that I move to my own domain. I wish I had
done this in the very first place, but I never imagined it would become more
than a 1-pager.

Domain name and hosting are not quite so expensive nowadays. If you are a
psychologist, I am sure you can afford it. A couple of clients will cover
the costs already. That gain from having your own domain will probably
attract more than a couple.

Funny enough, I moved to a separate domain only because my E-mail address
contained somebody else's full name, which was odd.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Software patents destroy innovation
  3:50am  up 17 days 23:44,  4 users,  load average: 0.04, 0.22, 0.28