Re: making site searchable

  • Subject: Re: making site searchable
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 03:53:57 +0000
  • Newsgroups: alt.internet.search-engines
__/ [TheKeith] on Sunday 20 November 2005 21:06 \__

> Gordon Hudson wrote:
>> "TheKeith" <no@xxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>>
>>>I'm wondering how to make your site searchable by name, especially on
>>>google. Right now my domain is basically my name [as one word] dot com,
>>>and I would like to make it searchable so that when people type my name in
>>>2 words, my site will come up; right now, it only comes up in google when
>>>you type my name as one word. I heard google ignores meta tags so I don't
>>>even have any. How can i fix this?---thanks.

Make sure your name appears in the <title> and maybe in <h1>. Beyond this,
you should mainly rely on incoming links with your name as the anchor text
(see below).

>> Mine comes up if you put my name in as two words.
>> It all depends how common your name is I suppose and what inward links
>> there are and what those inward links text is.

If your name, for example, was Keith Smith, you would struggle not only to
surpass professors and famous people with the same name. You may also
struggle to bear "Keith" and "Smith" arbitrarily appearing in different
places in a highly-ranked page.

> do you think it might help if i get other people i know to put something
> like
>
> '<div style="display:none"><a href="http://www.myname.com";>my
> name</a></div>'
>
> somewhere in the body of their sites?

name</a></div>

would be better. You must not hide content from human visitors for the sake
of SEO.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Useless fact: 111111 X 111111 = 12345654321
  3:45am  up 17 days 23:39,  4 users,  load average: 0.18, 0.37, 0.33