Re: I've got the perfect solution to get wider adoption for Linux

  • Subject: Re: I've got the perfect solution to get wider adoption for Linux
  • From: William Poaster <willpoast@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 18:38:46 +0000
  • Desktop: KDE 3.5 (RC1)
  • Linux-registered-user: 305646
  • Machine: #1, Drive #1
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Note: I ONLY post through Giganews
On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 10:18:00 +0000, a broadcast message from the Roy
Schestowitz console, was as follows:

> __/ [Bill Baker] on Monday 21 November 2005 09:04 \__
>
>> I've just been thinking, and tell me if this solution would work or not:
>>
>> One of the big problems of Linux adoption is that you need the root
>> password in order to install software.
>

> No, it's not. It's actually what makes Linux stable and secure as a matter
> of face. Adoption is hindered by a variety of other factors, e.g.:
>
> -Proprietary software that are not yet supported by Linux
>
> -Stereotypes and propaganda that is amplified by Windows trolls
>
> -Subjective views and misguided adaptations due to the prevalence of
> Windows
>
> [...]
>
>> Either that, or you need to run
>> as root all the time, which is not really a secure option.  The way to
>                                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
>> get around that for the average Joe User is to create a .png or .jpg
>> file at installation that has the user's chosen root password on it and
>> display it in the dialog box whenever a user is prompted for the root
>> password.
>

> You call /that/ secure?

On my systems, at installation (or any other time) the root password is
only shown as *********** by default, so I don't see what taking a .png or
.jpg "snapshot" would do anyway....if I'm reading the above correctly.

--
Top 500 supercomputers,
Linux:74.4% ; Unix:20%