Re: Microsoft to give Office access to rivals

__/ [Roy Culley] on Tuesday 22 November 2005 01:16 \__

> <http://news.ft.com/cms/s/e9f5c0f8-5ab7-11da-8628-0000779e2340.html>
>
>     Microsoft will on Tuesday announce it is opening up access to its
>     Office file formats to competitors, as part of a move to ensure
>     the software giant does not lose lucrative government markets for
>     its Office software.

Well done, Massachusetts (said with caution). Once pressure was there, a
practical threat was realised (taken with a grain of salt). As this devalues
Office, we should be skeptic. Even if MS Office was made the most reliable
among its equivalents, customers would be reluctant to buy it.

>     The move will ensure that computer users will be able to open and
>     work with Microsoft Word, PowerPoint and Excel documents without
>     having to buy the Microsoft Office software to do so.
>
> Now if only I can believe them.

Must be a publicity stunt. Some say that the XBox being lower in availability
than demand is yet another case of publicity stunts. Marketing is
Microsoft's best department, after all. Google's best department is probably
recruitment and SCO wish they had good lawyers.

Does anyone /TRULY/ think Microsoft does this to in order to be kind to the
world? Companies have no feelings. They have investors.