Re: Desire To Learn Linux

  • Subject: Re: Desire To Learn Linux
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 07:08:06 +0000
  • Newsgroups: alt.linux
__/ [ray] on Sunday 20 November 2005 22:01 \__

> On Sun, 20 Nov 2005 10:05:17 -0800, SimpleMan wrote:
>
>> OK, here goes.  I know that volumes have been typed about Linux and
>> newbies and such, but I feel my questions are different and would love
>> some help with them.  Here goes....I enjoy computers...from daily use
>> to hardware to how they work and some gaming.  I have mainly used
>> Windows and want to dive into Linux.  I guess I should start with some
>> goals and concerns that I have for myself.  I enjoy the "geek" culture,
>> enjoy reading 2600 and love gifts from www.thinkgeek.com  :0  That
>> being said, I want to learn more about Linux.  I want to learn to use
>> it everyday like one would Windows....so kind of and end user or
>> desktop type of user.  I also want to know how and why Linux
>> works...the more technical side or geeky side of Linux.  I like what
>> Linux is all about...open source and an alternitive to Micro$oft
>> products.  My goals are to use Linux daily for email, Internet,
>> etc...but also want to know what scripting is, dive into learning some
>> programming once I am comfortable with Linux.  I am reading that shell
>> scripting, Python, and Perl are all good to learn for the beginner.  I
>> understand that I can not go from newbie to Linux power user over night
>> so where should I start?  Is a "mainstrem" distro a good place to start
>> or should a newbie bite the bullet and learn the command line and the
>> "hard way" from the very start?  I know that in Linux the command line
>> is a must and you have got to know it and know it well....if you want
>> to become that power user over time.  My goal is to have a relieable
>> system, stable and I do not mind having a software title that is a few
>> months old...if it is "bug free" rather than cuting edge with constant
>> patches.  Would you hand a newbie with a desire to grow and learn Linux
>> Mandriva, SuSe or Slackware?  I do want to thank you for this help and
>> am looking forward to understanding and using Linux.  :0
>

> Based on what you've told me: I'd suggest you start with a Debian
> derivative - install from the Knoppix live CD/DVD, or Ubuntu (or maybe
> even Elive).

I second Ubuntu. It is most likely to work properly with all your hardware,
it is stable and it is very user-friendly. No brown packaging with a dancing
penguin either.

> After you've used that for a while, try a straight Debian
> install - don't jump here first, you could use some Linux 'exposure'
> first.

If the OP is willing to make a transition to KDE (maybe Kubuntu), then I
would also recommend SuSE or OpenSuSE.

> There is a great book about Debian - "The Debian System Concepts
> and Techniques". Also lots of good info on the internet. After you're
> happy with Debian, I'd suggest either a Gentoo stage one install or Linux
> From Scratch. By then you'll have learned a lot.

Gentoo is only good for learning Linux at levels that are deeper than
required. It possibly deters Linux newbies. I suggest leaving Gentoo aside
for the time being as I have observed its intimidating effect.

> Good resources:
> www.distrowatch.com
> www.yolinux.com
> www.tldp.org
> www.iosn.net has some good tutorials on desktop Linux and System Admin.

If you go with Ubuntu (which is my utmost suggestion), be sure to make use of
the official Ubuntu forums. If you find something difficult, the forums will
be able to assist.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | SuSE, Mandriva, Fedora - Gotta love them girls
  7:00am  up 19 days  2:54,  6 users,  load average: 2.46, 3.12, 3.13