Re: good file manager for Linux?

__/ [Lee Sau Dan] on Tuesday 22 November 2005 16:34 \__

>     Roy> It sounds like the 'find as you type' paradigm, which is very
>     Roy> valuable in Firefox.
>
> Yeah.  Emac's Ctrl-S (incremental  search) feature.  Also available in
> bash  as Ctrl-R.  I've  been a  addict of  it for  over a  decade.  In
> absence  of it,  the search  (key:  "/") of  more/less are  acceptable
> substitutes.  If even that is  missing, then grep would be acceptable.
> Lacking all of these, life would be tough!
>
> I was so glad when Firefox  eventually got it. No more searching with
> the naked  eye for keywords on  a lengthy web page.

Mozilla has been able to do that for quite some time.

> Let the computer
> find that paragraph/hyperlink for me.  (Can it do regular expressions,
> too?  I wish it could!)

OpenOffice 2 can perform search&replace with regex and even font styles. It
goes to the extreme, but only if you are willing to wait for it to load up.

Speaking of 'find as you type', the nice thing about Firefox is that it puts
hyperlinks that are found in focus. In my portal, for example, I can get to
each link by matching a short string to it, then hitting ENTER. Try it if
you haven't (F3 to skip if there are 'collisions').

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Useless fact: Digits 772-777 of Pi are 999999
  5:10pm  up 19 days 13:04,  6 users,  load average: 0.12, 0.04, 0.01