Re: Direct calendar synchronisation to the web - is it possible?

  • Subject: Re: Direct calendar synchronisation to the web - is it possible?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 05:16:58 +0000
  • Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.palmtops
__/ [Martin Lowe] on Tuesday 22 November 2005 19:28 \__

> Hello
>
> After a bit of thought, I've come to realise that I don't want to
> synchronise the calendar in my new Treo with a desktop PC but would like to
> synchronise it directly with a web-based calendar. That way, friends and
> family can look online and see if I'm free or not rather than asking me.
>
> However, I've looked for some kind of product or method to do this, and
> can't see anything that would allow this direct synchronisation - all that
> vendors seem to offer is sync involving a desktop PC.
>
> Does anyone know of a service that offers this? The only thing I've seen is
> a service from Orange that allows synchronisation between their website and
> SyncML compatible phones, and annoyingly enough the Treo isn't in the
> device list.

I  realised the potential of Web-based synchronisation about a year ago. I
wrote  about  it, talked about it with people who run Web-based  PIM  ser-
vices,  and  searched vigorously for links, products or  existing  initia-
tives.

It turned out that Palm thought about it at some stage. The search was not
very  fruitful, yet I still hold this contention that data synchronisation
need  not depend on a single computer, which is not always available  from
anywhere and at any time. Moreover, there is the issue of inter-operabili-
ty,  which can be resolved (bridged) using the Web. Here are a few sugges-
tions to you:

1. Tasks Pro: http://www.taskspro.com/

2. Zimbra: http://www.zimbra.com/

3. Horde Project: http://www.horde.org/ (Open Source)

As  you can see, none of these services offers you the ability to edit the
calendar  data directly, namely in your Treo's built-in PIM  applications.
You  may have to get connected to the Internet via your Treo whenever  you
wish  to  view or edit your diary. You cannot commit changes or use  these
off  cache. If you find a solution which integrates Palm data entry with a
Web-based  interface, please let me know. Nothing as such exists as far as
I can gather.

Roy S. Schestowitz
  5:05am  up 20 days  0:59,  4 users,  load average: 0.12, 0.26, 0.26