Re: Character recognition

__/ [varungupta] on Tuesday 22 November 2005 19:44 \__

> I need an algorithm which can identify mouse drawn/stylus written
> on-screen devnagari (script for hindi language) characters most
> accurately. By mouse-drawn/stylus-written, I mean, the characters shall
> be drawn on-screen by use of a mouse or a stylus. For example: Using
> mouse for drawing in MS Paint.
> Software needs input through a Bitmap file on which character is drawn.
>
> Waiting for replies !
>
> Regards
> Varun Gupta

I suggest you have a look at wayV:

http://www.stressbunny.com/wayv/

It is Open Source and I happen to use it for desktop gestures. The
implementation is a very flexible one. It interprets Graffiti-like strokes
triggered by the mouse.

As an example, here if the default definition of an 'A'.

Gesture {
        name = "A";
        description = "A";
        shape =
          0, 0, 0, 0, 1, 0, 0, 0
        , 0, 0, 0, 1, 1, 1, 0, 0
        , 0, 0, 0, 1, 0, 1, 0, 0
        , 0, 0, 1, 0, 0, 1, 0, 0
        , 0, 1, 0, 0, 0, 0, 1, 0
        , 0, 1, 0, 0, 0, 0, 1, 0
        , 1, 1, 0, 0, 0, 0, 1, 1
        , 1, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 1
        ;
        vector = NE, SE;
        action = "Action A";
}

If you choose to re-use wayV, be sure to extend it (see TODO) and contribute
back to the community. It has not been maintained for many years.

Hope it helps,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Useless fact: 21978 x 4 = 21978 backwards
  5:35am  up 20 days  1:29,  4 users,  load average: 0.29, 0.49, 0.52