Re: Other Text in CNN Cheney Speech Video?

  • Subject: Re: Other Text in CNN Cheney Speech Video?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 05:34:04 +0000
  • Newsgroups: sci.image.processing
__/ [Ken Prager] on Tuesday 22 November 2005 12:57 \__

> In article <1132642361.257711.220670@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
>  timgep@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
>> I am a newbie to this group, and I have a question about something
>> that happened on CNN today.  My question is not a joke.
>>
>> Matt Drudge reported today that CNN inadvertenly displayed
>> a huge X over the face of VP Cheney when he made a speech
>> today.
>> http://www.drudgereport.com/flash3cnc.htm
>>
>> Does anyone else see black text superimposed over the
>> bottom of the screen?  There is something on top of
>> the words "it is wrong to criticize"   There is more at
>> the right on top of the Live Today logo.
>>
>> Is there any way to pull out what the black text says, if any?
>>
>> Just wondering
>>
>> Tim
>
> It was a technical marker.  See...
>
> <http://thedanreport.blogspot.com/2005/11/cheney-x-revealed.html>
>
> ...for an enhanced view.

I wonder what picture quality they used for image processing. In the OP's
pointer to the Drudge Report's image, the resolution is quite low. The JPEG
wavelets make the image quite poor, especially for detecting contrast among
the blacks. Just curious...

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Error, no keyboard - press F1 to continue"