Re: Google Site Maps - What other search engines use this?

  • Subject: Re: Google Site Maps - What other search engines use this?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 16:08:42 +0000
  • Newsgroups: alt.internet.search-engines
__/ [Berimor] on Thursday 24 November 2005 07:55 \__

> On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 04:17:03 +0200, Scanner2001
> <jeffsanders125@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Do any other major search engines use the same site maps (sitemap.xml)
>> that
>> google uses?
>

> I do not think so - at least - i haven't heard about any adherence to
> sitemap from any other SE.
> Maybe i'm wrong though.

Nobody  else  supports it and I once complained about its  implication  on
competition.  When  I posted a rant about it, I even got cited by  several
sites.

People  begin  to tailor their site to suit Google, not only in  terms  of
simple  SEO techniques like title tweaking and keyword density, which  ac-
commodate all. Here you incorporate vendor-specific elements, which unlike
robots.txt, for instance, are not standardised. This is very, very danger-
ous.

Some years ago, people were happy enough if they could get their presenta-
tion  to show up in one particular application. A decade later, this might
only  be an opaque binary file. I can't recall where I read this, but what
if  some day in the future we just glued together pages and then submitted
them to Google rather than handle them as a standalone site. Laugh all you
want,  but we're getting there. Analytics, Site Maps, Google as a homepage
and AdSense/Word everywhere.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    $> wget -r -erobots=off http://www.*
  3:55pm  up 21 days 11:49,  4 users,  load average: 0.49, 0.49, 0.59