Re: Google Groups Truncated Atricles - What's up with that ?

  • Subject: Re: Google Groups Truncated Atricles - What's up with that ?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 16:16:53 +0000
  • Newsgroups: alt.internet.search-engines
__/ [QuienEs] on Thursday 24 November 2005 14:23 \__

> On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 09:53:15 +0200, Berimor <roman@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> |On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 06:30:56 +0200, QuienEs
> |<QuienEsREMOVETHIS@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> |
> |> Recently I've searched Google Groups and found older, fairly short,
> |> articles that are obviously truncated - they just end in mid
> sentence.
> |

> |Link, please.
>
> Very reasonable request - but I can't find an example right away.   It
> last happened a few days ago and I can't find the article -  next time
> it happens I will re-post with a link/links.  Maybe these 2 ocurrances
> were just a fluke.  Unless others post more info.  Thanks for your
> reply.
>
> QE in NJ

I have a rough idea (or a guess rather):

http://www.templetons.com/brad/copymyths.html

<quote>

3) "If it's posted to Usenet it's in the public domain."

    False. Nothing modern is in the public domain anymore unless the owner
explicitly puts it in the public domain(*). Explicitly, as in you have a
note from the author/owner saying, "I grant this to the public domain."
Those exact words or words very much like them.

</quote>

Some copyrighted articles are posted verbatim and in full. Could this be the
case? Also, Google assembled their database from Deja News, whom they had
acquired. They fetched archives that go back the early 80's. People saved
these on CD's and other forms of media (e.g. unreliable 5.25 inch floppies).
Maybe that explains the fragmentation? Intra-article truncation would be odd
though, I agree.

__/ [QuienEs] on Thursday 24 November 2005 04:30 \__

> One yesterday was from 1999.
>
> I'm wondering if this is a Google bug,
> a corrupted data base,
> intentional to save space,
> or maybe I can subscribe to something to see complete messages ?
>
> Or what ?
>
> Any pointers would be most welcome.

Ironically, it was probably /you/ who ought to have given the pointers
(links). This would have been very helpful and would have made this
discussion a lively one, I'm sure.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Bottom-post: as English goes from top to bottom
  4:10pm  up 21 days 12:04,  4 users,  load average: 0.76, 0.57, 0.57