Re: 2 domain names, 1 site

__/ [Timmermans] on Thursday 24 November 2005 16:24 \__

>> __/ [Big Bill] on Thursday 24 November 2005 12:00 \__
>>
>> > On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 17:07:33 +0800, "Timmermans"
>> > <steventimmermans@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> [...]
>>

>> I think that's a good idea. I can see the possibility of it being misused
>> though. Hopefully, search engines allow for more than just a single
>> language
>> and therefore bother to look beyond the first one.
>
> Misused?  How?  In Belgium as well as in the Netherlands the official first
> language is Dutch.  The problem here is due to technical limits because of
> the doman extensions.  Other then that I have no reason to go for the .nl
> extension in addition to .be, I see no reasons for abuse.

I was actually thinking about spammers who have an attempt at languages
"en,it,de,be,nl"...

if it helps listing, it is likely to be misused sooner or later. Domain names
are a different matter and I totally agree with you.

> Imagine an English site on a general topic... .co.uk, .com, .au or wherever
> they officially speak English should be considered logical alternatives to
> serve the English speaking public, no?

Yes, definitely. Language and geography are treated distinctly, but I needn't
point it out, I guess.

>> [...]
>>
>> > It begs the question, why did you not do it with that extension
>> > initially? Guess you didn't realise, huh?
>>

>> Fair enough, no? We can never foresee where a site (or business) is
>> ultimately headed[1]. Last year I had less than 5% of the traffic that I
>> have today. It's a good thing that I registered the new site for many
> years
>> to come and a darn shame that it took me nearly 2 years to move from a
>> subdirectory of an obscure domain to having my own domain.
>
> Exactly, my site also has grown from with was originaly a 5 page homepage
> into a proper site with several hundreds of pages.

We have got to write something to keep ourselves occupied, right? I see no
harm in that. I used to have a 1-page academic placeholder. With food
(visitors) comes the appetite.

>> > I still go with putting the content on one and redirecting from the
>> > other.
>>

>> I think this means that only one domain (the domain that is redirected to)
>> will /ever/ be listed. Perhaps this is what Timmermans wants...?
>
> Eh, no... not really, that would only bring me visitors who would visit the
> link directly.  The idea is to get listed for both .be and .nl, and since
> both countries speak Dutch it would be fairly rediculous to maintain two
> different Dutch versions of the site for this.  Hence the reason for the
> subject title; 2 domain names, 1 site.

I think a search engine would have a dilemma here. This dilemma might simply
mean that Google, for example, would not cut you any slack.

Many sites have the incentive for invading other, more localised SERP's.
Whether mirroring, redirections or metatags do the tricks, the SERP's would
become denser, more competitive and large companies will spread their wings
and overwhelm SEPR's beyond their region. Sometimes a person in Belgium
strictly wants to search for Belgian sites whose company/root is based in
Belgium.

> Thinking of this... what about Google itself, Google's search engine can be
> called from dozens of countries and all show the same page.  Would Google
> not penalise itself if duplicate content were not allowed... or is there
> more to it then this simplistic view on things?

I mentioned this before as a possible point of hypocrisy. Hypocrisy and
business can be an oxymoron at times. For that very same reason, you should
take "do not evil" with a grain of salt and assume that more domains do not
necessarily invite more referrals or traffic. My spread of visits across
sites:

900-200-12-10-7

^1^           ^2

1) Most popular site

2) Least popular site

So, one site can produce by far more than many sites combined. There is no
equality on the Net. See illustrational image:

http://www.schestowitz.com/IMG/blog/pagerank_traffic.jpg

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Bottom-post: as English goes from top to bottom
  4:50pm  up 21 days 12:44,  4 users,  load average: 0.63, 0.96, 0.77