Re: 2 domain names, 1 site

  • Subject: Re: 2 domain names, 1 site
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 14:45:20 +0000
  • Newsgroups: alt.internet.search-engines
__/ [Big Bill] on Thursday 24 November 2005 12:00 \__

> On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 17:07:33 +0800, "Timmermans"
> <steventimmermans@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

>>"Big Bill" <kruse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

>>name
>>>
>>> No! Either have significantly different content on both of them or
>>> only have content on one of them and have the other one redirected to
>>> it using a 301 redirect.
>>> But, you may be asking the wrong question, so let me ask one; why is
>>> it you are considering two domains?
>>>
>>> BB
>>>

>>Ah... because when using Google.nl looking for pages in the Netherlands
>>(with the .nl) my site, though in the Dutch language, doesn't show up.  A
>>small handicap considering the majority of the Dutch audience resides in
>>the Netherlands.
>>
>>So if a redirect would be the most proper thing to do, I guess I should try
>>to remain neutral where possible.  What about a reference in the lang or
>>language tags going "be,nl" instead of just one of those?

I think that's a good idea. I can see the possibility of it being misused
though. Hopefully, search engines allow for more than just a single language
and therefore bother to look beyond the first one.

>>Appreciate the advice, thank!
>>
>>Steven
>
> It begs the question, why did you not do it with that extension
> initially? Guess you didn't realise, huh?

Fair enough, no? We can never foresee where a site (or business) is
ultimately headed[1]. Last year I had less than 5% of the traffic that I
have today. It's a good thing that I registered the new site for many years
to come and a darn shame that it took me nearly 2 years to move from a
subdirectory of an obscure domain to having my own domain.

> I still go with putting the content on one and redirecting from the
> other.

I think this means that only one domain (the domain that is redirected to)
will /ever/ be listed. Perhaps this is what Timmermans wants...?

Roy

[1] In retrospect, I sometimes wonder if Brin/Page would have chosen 'Google'
as the name had they known their vocation. I know what Google means and I
know it is easy to defend and justify the name. Many companies including
Yahoo would say the same. We all easily believe what we want to believe and
convince ourselves that 'accustumability' is acceptable.

--
Roy S. Schestowitz      | Vista: as the reputation of "Longhorn" was mucked
  2:35pm  up 21 days 10:29,  4 users,  load average: 1.35, 0.61, 0.54