Re: Search Engine

__/ [Stan Brown] on Thursday 24 November 2005 15:21 \__

> Wed, 23 Nov 2005 19:00:00 -0800 from David Ross <nobody@xxxxxxxxxxx>:
>> Please direct me to a Web site that describes how to implement a
>> search engine for my own Web site.
>
> This rather depends on your server software, but in any event Google
> is your friend: <http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search>.
>
> As you might expect, this question has been discussed exhaustively in
> the newsgroups, so your starting point is a Google query (perhaps
> date limited to the last 12 months, give or take).

Why  not re-use an existing technology? I can think of several free  pack-
ages  that are free. Also, depending on how you store your data, it may be
possible  to  incorporate a search facility without any  additional  work,
e.g.  SQL  queries.  If you have a public site (not intranet)  and  it  is
crawled  quite  exhaustively, then you can also embed a Yahoo site  search
widget, for instance.

Like Stan said, many people have asked similar questions in the past.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Y |-(1^2)|^(1/2)+1 K
 11:55am  up 22 days  7:49,  4 users,  load average: 0.43, 0.75, 0.92