Re: Do I need robot file?

  • Subject: Re: Do I need robot file?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 06:09:24 +0000
  • Newsgroups: alt.internet.search-engines
__/ [John Bokma] on Sunday 27 November 2005 01:27 \__

> "John" <nospam@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

>> "John Bokma" <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

>>> Yes, it keeps the error_log clean :-D
>>>
>>> For a nice default version, see
>>>
>>> http://johnbokma.com/robots.txt
>>
>> Would an empty robots.txt file do the same thing?  I think MSN
>> suggests it and that's what I use but is it ok with other SE's?
>
> The one suggested above means: everything is allowed, so is identical to
> none. No idea if an empty file works similar.

An empty file should be fine. Keeps the 404's away and implies no exclusions.
I must have read this somewhere because I had an empty file before I began
to list particular pages.

Hope it helps,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Data lacking semantics is currency in an island
  6:05am  up 24 days  1:59,  7 users,  load average: 2.23, 1.73, 1.79