Re: Windows needs Microsoft to Defend Itself

__/ [Mark Kent] on Tuesday 11 October 2005 23:06 \__

> begin  oe_protect.scr
> chrisv <chrisv@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:
>> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>
>>>__/ [chrisv] on Tuesday 11 October 2005 17:23 \__

>>>That depends on your definition of "proper".
>>
>> Not breaking long URL's, and correct line-length and wrapping, are
>> good indicators...
>>
>>>Also bear in mind that UseNet
>>>is not accessed by just newsreaders. Archives and Web interfaces have to
>>>be catered for as well.
>>
>> Archives?  Google?  Considering the "lifetime" of many URL's, I'm not
>> sure that's really something to worry about.  The link can still be
>> reconstructed, if need be...
>>
>>>It's that recurring theme of "people do not use it the way you intend",
>>>be it a Web site or (God forbid) a chainsaw.
>>
>> Well, to each his own, I guess.  Personally, I don't like the
>> tinyurls, either as a "poster" or a "clicker".
>>

> There is a more fundamental point, though, which is what happens when
> tinyURL disappears?  I could understand posting both the short and the
> long URLs, but just the short one?

Good point which I will bear in mind.

I frequently think of that issue when I use message-id.net, which is a
service that a fellow 'newsgrouper' from alt.html set up as a jumping board
to Google Groups.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | "Double your drive space - delete Windows"
  6:05am  up 47 days 18:19,  4 users,  load average: 0.94, 0.88, 1.03