Re: A Bitter Linux User in a World Dominated by an Inferior O/S

__/ [Jim Richardson] on Thursday 13 October 2005 08:59 \__

The user-agent string is not a verbage. It is consistently Windows, which
unfortunately is a ubiqitous O/S.

As for filters of various types, I have already been told about 3 seprate

 * http://www.ioerror.us/software/bad-behavior/

 * http://dougal.gunters.org/blog/category/spamvalve/

 * http://www.modsecurity.org/

All of them require root access so I contacted my Web host last night.

As for the IP addresses, they are a diverse scatter. They are merely
meaningless as a discriminant.

For the time being, I keep an eye on the AWstats log outputs (every half an
hour) and deny all URL's that the zombies target. This reduces the traffic
and keeps the site alive. The heaviest pages are intentionally targetted by
zombies, so quick reaction is a necessity.

Roy

- --
Roy S. Schestowitz      | Roughly 2% of your keyboard is O/S-specific
 11:20am  up 48 days 23:34,  4 users,  load average: 0.70, 0.57, 0.49