Re: SuSE RealPlayer and Skype

  • Subject: Re: SuSE RealPlayer and Skype
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 17:01:37 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [wd] on Thursday 13 October 2005 16:04 \__

> On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 06:59:54 -0700, John Bailo wrote:
>

>> Hey Guys!
>>
>> I just found a site that lets you download Vista for free!
>>
>> Wow, this is great...all the Vista features right here, it's so cool, and
>> they added Xen virtualization, it's...
>>
>> Oh, wait.
>>
>> It's Suse Linux 10.0
>>
>> http://www.opensuse.org
>
> Doesn't SuSE come with RealPlayer installed?  Why do they force users to
> download RealPlayer?

SuSE is comprehensive and self-contained. That's the power of it. If you
don't like something, don't use it. There is plenty of choice.
Installations in Linux can sometimes be tricky. There are some powerful
package management tools like YaST in SuSE, but even /these/ are not
guaranteed to work due to dependencies. Somebody has done all the work
/for/ you. See it as a privilege.

> That is the only reason I'm not interested in it.
> RealPlayer is spyware in my opinion.

Only on a spyware-permissive platform like Windows. Don't mix the two. Also
remember that Registry is no more. Hence, more software does not imply
significant slow-down.

> I don't want Skype (Kazaa company)
> on my computer either.

Kazaa?!?! Are they not simply owned by eBay now?

> Can you cleanly uninstall RealPlayer from SuSE and be sure that everything
> is gone?

Yes, why not? It sounds to me like paranoia though? Besides, what is the
alternative? Windows Media Player (or MPlayer, totem, etc.)?

Roy S. Schestowitz      | WARNING: /dev/null running out of space
  4:50pm  up 49 days  5:04,  3 users,  load average: 0.43, 0.72, 0.63