Re: SuSE RealPlayer and Skype

  • Subject: Re: SuSE RealPlayer and Skype
  • From: William Poaster <willpoast@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 18:33:32 +0100
  • Linux-os: SuSE 10 OSS GM 64bit - KDE 3.4.2 "b"
  • Linux-registered-user: 305646
  • Machine: #1, Drive #1
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Note: I ONLY post through Giganews
On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 17:01:37 +0100, a broadcast message from the Roy
Schestowitz console, was as follows:

> __/ [wd] on Thursday 13 October 2005 16:04 \__
>
>> On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 06:59:54 -0700, John Bailo wrote:
>>

>>> Hey Guys!
>>>
>>> I just found a site that lets you download Vista for free!
>>>
>>> Wow, this is great...all the Vista features right here, it's so cool,
>>> and they added Xen virtualization, it's...
>>>
>>> Oh, wait.
>>>
>>> It's Suse Linux 10.0
>>>
>>> http://www.opensuse.org
>>
>> Doesn't SuSE come with RealPlayer installed?  Why do they force users to
>> download RealPlayer?
>
> SuSE is comprehensive and self-contained. That's the power of it. If you
> don't like something, don't use it. There is plenty of choice.
> Installations in Linux can sometimes be tricky. There are some powerful
> package management tools like YaST in SuSE, but even /these/ are not
> guaranteed to work due to dependencies. Somebody has done all the work
> /for/ you. See it as a privilege.
>

>> That is the only reason I'm not interested in it. RealPlayer is spyware
>> in my opinion.
>

> Only on a spyware-permissive platform like Windows. Don't mix the two.
> Also remember that Registry is no more. Hence, more software does not
> imply significant slow-down.
>

>> I don't want Skype (Kazaa company)
>> on my computer either.
>

> Kazaa?!?! Are they not simply owned by eBay now?

I've not got Skype on my machines, & it's not even on the CDs. WTF is he
on about?

>> Can you cleanly uninstall RealPlayer from SuSE and be sure that
>> everything is gone?
>
> Yes, why not? It sounds to me like paranoia though? Besides, what is the
> alternative? Windows Media Player (or MPlayer, totem, etc.)?

I uninstalled RealPlayer, & Beagle shows that there's no sign of it...
You can also choose *not* to install it in the *first* place, when you get
to the SuSE setup page on installation.

--
Microsoft's use of the word "innovation"
should be read as "appropriation".