Re: Useful Website Statistics?

  • Subject: Re: Useful Website Statistics?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 17:08:12 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.www.webmaster
__/ [www.1-script.com] on Friday 14 October 2005 17:01 \__

> Adam Risser wrote:
>

>> Hi Everybody,
>
>> I have started working for a university and am looking for a free
>> statistics program.  The problem I have is not finding stat programs,
>> but knowing what features are a "must have".  What web
>> statistics do
>> you find most useful?  I know  statistics like browser, OS, and what
>> search engine people are using are important, but what other statistics
>> do you guys use that you find extremely helpful.  I'm thinking along
>> the lines of tracking the path a user takes to certain pages and such.
>> The stat program I am looking at right now is AWstats.
>
>> Any feedback is appreciated, Thanks!
>> Adam
>
> Whatever you do, make sure your stats are not visible the the Web!
> Otherwise you will very quickly suffer from referrer spoof attack(s). Ask
> Roy here, he knows ;-). Heck, you'll get this attack anyways 'cause they
> are usually just taking chances and are too lazy to check if your stats
> are actually online.

I was never putting any stats on-line. I think these zombies were out for
experimentation, phoning home for instruction and seeing how much havoc
they could wreck.

> Getting back on topic: I think most useful stats are produced by Urchin
> (the Google company as I recently learned). It's a bit heavy a system for
> only occasional look at your stats, but if you are very much into it, that
> would be a justifiable expence.
>
> If you're only interested in light visit/pages/hits/referrers and HEAVY
> Google-specific traffic reports, use Visitors. It's free, too:
>
> http://www.hping.org/visitors/

Yes, it's him from whom I learned about it.

> Good luck!

He cannot fail, can he? (my redundant comment when I think about it
again...)

Roy S. Schestowitz      | "No, I didn't buy that from eBay"
  5:05pm  up 50 days  5:19,  3 users,  load average: 0.03, 0.33, 0.38