Re: killing me softly

__/ [johny_cage] on Sunday 16 October 2005 09:35 \__

> hi,
> when I was younger, I thought that a person who has real skills, would
> have not any problems with finding a job. It is also true now. But the
> problem is when I started to think: "why I have to go to someone else
> to make money, why not making them at my own account?". And at this
> point there are many difficulties, which are country specific, and are
> not so important at this time. Reason why I post here is staight linked
> with open source and all the community. Yeah, community is really good,
> but there is something more. My question is: what for programmers
> exist? There are thousands of open source projects, which are available
> for free.
>
> sf.net
>
>       Communications (12287 projects)
>       Database (5035 projects)
>       Desktop Environment (2609 projects)
>       Education (2790 projects)
>       Formats and Protocols (662 projects)
>       Games/Entertainment (11650 projects)
>       Internet (20150 projects)
>       Multimedia (10417 projects)
>       Office/Business (4802 projects)
>       Other/Nonlisted Topic (1965 projects)
>       Printing (395 projects)
>       Religion and Philosophy (242 projects)
>       Scientific/Engineering (8675 projects)
>       Security (2272 projects)
>       Sociology (324 projects)
>       Software Development (15746 projects)
>       System (16294 projects)
>       Terminals (503 projects)
>       Text Editors (2244 projects)
>
> Yeah!
>
> freshmeat.net
>
> Adaptive Technologies (54 projects)
> Artistic Software (170 projects)
> Communications (5836 projects)
> Database (2080 projects)
> Desktop Environment (2452 projects)
> Documentation (182 projects)
> Education (939 projects)
> freshmeat.net (25 projects)
> Games/Entertainment (2799 projects)
> Home Automation (91 projects)
> Information Management (1355 projects)
> Internet (10561 projects)
> Multimedia (6472 projects)
> Office/Business (2194 projects)
> Other/Nonlisted Topic (269 projects)
> Printing (228 projects)
> Religion (53 projects)
> Scientific/Engineering (2836 projects)
> Security (1634 projects)
> Software Development (11168 projects)
> System (10583 projects)
> Terminals (332 projects)
> Text Editors (670 projects)
> Text Processing (2497 projects)
> Utilities (3109 projects)
>
> Yeah!
> What for I went to study computer science? Everything is now done!
> Maybe someone could tell me what software does not exist, or maybe just
> say, that: "wait for a new hardware".

As long as stupidity perpetuates, there will be people out there who are
still willing (if not expecting) to pay for anything that is valuable. The
very core difference between a pair of sock and software is not yet
comprehended. Software can be duplicated. Write a wonderful, bug-free
software /once/ and off you go broadening it and deploying it everywhere.

The point where that stupidity (as I referred to it above) ends is the day
when Linux takes over. Microshafters know it and that is why they are
scared. Education of the public as for the matter of software free
'duplicability' is still in its diapers. The public needs to understand
that price is not proportional to quality as far as /software/ goes.
Hardware is a different matter, of course.

Will there still be innovation? Of course. Looks at the fierce fights for
popularity among OOS projects.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    chmod a-r *.mbox
  9:40am  up 51 days 21:54,  5 users,  load average: 0.90, 0.71, 0.67