Re: Iuron and Market Trends

__/ [Noticedtrends] on Sunday 16 October 2005 22:49 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> __/ [Andy Dingley] on Sunday 16 October 2005 15:33 \__

>> > Which Manchester-based father of SemWeb is that ?  There are several
>> > candidates!
>> >
>> > This is a very interesting topic, has been for some years, and
>> > Manchester Uni is one of the hotbeds of work on it. You should take a
>> > look at what Ian Horrocks' group have been doing.
>>

>> He is the one whom I contacted, formerly Carole Goble's student. Very
>> young and highly influential already:
>>
>> http://www.sigmod.org/dblp/db/indices/a-tree/h/Horrocks:Ian.html
>>
>> He was my lecturer a few years ago and I happen to be an external student
>> in that department, which is headed by my Ph.D. supervisor.
>>
>> http://www.daml.org/
>>
>> Somebody whose article I read today used the term Web 2.1 in a different
>> context, so let's call DAML, microformats and the like Web 3.0. Maybe Web
>> 2.0 will never be actualised because so-called 3.0 will reach there first
>> and overtake it.
>>
>> Do you believe that some time in the future books and text will become
>> useless and ambiguous form of information that can go down the bin? Will
>> we formulate knowledge precisely rather than compose it in what we now
>> call "natural language"? A controversial contention such as this is more
>> likely to get me enemies, so I'll stop...
>>
>> Roy
>>
>> --
>> Roy S. Schestowitz      |    WARNING: /dev/null running out of space
>> http://Schestowitz.com  |    SuSE Linux    |     PGP-Key: 74572E8E
>>   3:40pm  up 52 days  3:54,  5 users,  load average: 0.63, 0.50, 0.50
>>       http://iuron.com - next generation of search paradigms
>
> Hello,
>
> I'm still not clear on how IURON and the "Semantic Web" can mimick
> "inferential scanning" e.g., will requests like "What are emerging
> trends (on any topic) within the last 30 days?" be typed into some sort
> of inference search-engine; which would infer, and yield content on
> emerging trends?

You could probably datestamp facts and do relevant queries if designed
properly.

Aside: does Google provide anything for the dimension of time, something
long the lines of filetype:XYZ?

If you want to discover emerging trends, better try:

 * http://technorati.com/

 * http://gada.be/ (just unveiled)

> Would the search-results contain content; which happens to frequently
> mention seemingly disconnected sets of keywords like "Lately (Boolean
> NEAR) noticed", "Trend toward" OR "becoming more", "people have
> become", or "Lately (Boolean NEAR) [specific industry segments,
> companies, products, social trends, etc.]?"

I suggest you see:

http://www.veen.com/jeff/archives/000749.html

In particular the discussion which revolves around the word "apparently"

> Such proposals seem to involve artificial intelligence where computers
> can actually infer; which is a combination of logical and intuitive
> processes. ...

Intuition is nothing beyond what we know as knowledge (or logic to remain
consistent with your wording). "Intuition" is a 'fluffy' term used to
overcomplicate things we sometimes fail (or do not wish) to understand.
Examples: "Soul", "Love", "Fate"...

> ... Applying such developments on practical scales still seems
> to be a long way into the future.

It's resource-greedy, I know.

> Thank-you

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    No SCO code was used to generate this sig
  1:00am  up 52 days 13:14,  5 users,  load average: 0.22, 0.15, 0.12