Re: Too Much Information - Google in Trouble?

> __/ [John Bokma] on Sunday 16 October 2005 15:12 \__
>
>> Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> Title: Google Satellite Photos Worry India Leader
>>>
>>> <snip>
>>>
>>> The governments of
>>> South Korea and Thailand and lawmakers in the Netherlands have
>>> expressed similar concerns.
>>
>> Since I left the Netherlands they become more and more crazy every
>> day. Each province had a "disaster map", with objects that could be a
>> problem to the people who live there, if something went wrong with
>> those objects. Of course, those maps have to be removed off line,
>> since a terrorist could blow something up.
>>
>> Incredible! I mean, a terrorist just has to go to a train station in
>> one of the main cities, and blow himself/herself up. Besides, if a
>> terrorist wants a map, he/she gets it. No need for Google maps.
>
> Google Maps and similar services make that easier though.

Yeah, and all those bomb making instructions too. Also, the TV makes it
real terrorism, I mean, one bomb in, say Amsterdam, and 5 minutes later
the whole world is in terror. Nah, you don't need a map to make people
shit in their pants, you can just go to the Netherlands, and ask the
people where to go. Another nice dangerous spot is all those big tanks
near Rotterdam. And IIRC "we" have 2 or 3 nuclear power plants (no idea
if they work), and blowing a few holes in some of the dykes (ha ha),
might do some terror as well. Just a history book on Holland, or asking
some very simple questions (a lot of Dutch people seem to have some
understanding of English, which goes beyond F(beep), S(beep), and B
(beep)S(beep)). Throwing an egg at the queen seems also to give one 5
minutes of fame.

> I ought to
> point out that the Internet contained maps for a very long time (since
> I was 17 at the least), satellite maps included. I was playing about
> with these. The maps didn't have a big "G" at the top-left corner of
> the page and there was no Google watermark either. I find these
> watermarks somewhat vain, I have to say.

They pay for it, so yeah.

> Be ready for some legal actions because everybody wants a little bit
> of the Google bucks. There is a certain company in north-west America
> that could teach us a lesson or two on legal implication of invasion
> to territory of other companies.
>
> In fact, on a completely valid and related note, here is something I
> read just 5 minutes ago:
>
> http://gigaom.com/2004/06/29/apple-is-as-predatory-as-microsoft/

I don't have to read it, if the URL is a perfect summary. I have been
saying this for many years. Moreover, I always add Disney, Sony, etc.
Amazing how many sleepless nights some zealots seem to get about MS (or
M$ as they seem to prefer to spell it), and don't worry about companies
like Sony.

> <snip>
>
> The Dashboard is home to a new kind of application called Widgets.
> Widgets are mini-applications written in JavaScript that are designed
> for fun as well as function,? writes Apple on its website. Very cool -
> except it is a direct rip-off of Konfabulator, a $25 Macintosh program
> which has been doing this for the longest time. Shame on you Apple!
>
> </snip>

Ah, yeah, I remember that. Prior art: the desktop calculator on most
GUIs :-)

[ locations of objects that might be interesting to terrorists ]
>> Yeah, and before that nobody had a clue where it could be located.
>
> Well, it's only make believe...

They should paint all dangerous objects pink, with in bold black
letters: please bomb this for the best effect.

--
John                       Perl SEO tools: http://johnbokma.com/perl/
                                             or have them custom made