Re: Wikipedia Mirrors

> __/ [John Bokma] on Tuesday 18 October 2005 02:30 \__
>

>> If they mean with: we made a copy of the wikipedia page, and hence
>> save them some bandwidth, so we are financially supporting them...
>> well... urhm.
>
> Someone ought to make contact in order to see which side should be
> taken. In fact, since the contact E-mail is there, furious E-mails are
> possibly anticipated. Despite the age of the site, I still see
> (Alexa/Netcraft) that it gets little traffic and I only found it at
> the very bottom of the SERP's, having gone to the very end of the
> search results. I think the disclaimer above might just be a coverup.
> Who knows if they ever negotiated with Wikipedia's creator.

IIRC you can use the content of Wikipedia, and IIRC they prefer that
additions are fed back. I myself see no point in cloning Wikipedia pages,
and hope that Google is going to agree soon.

As for snippets, it would be nice that if you do that too much, you end up
lower in the SERPs. My personal page has been called "everything except the
kitchen sink" (or something related), and I think it's not ok if someone
with a similar site can just re-use content of wikipedia to triple (or
more) the number of pages, by giving each paragraph an URL and extend it
with wikipedia content.

--
John                       Perl SEO tools: http://johnbokma.com/perl/
                                             or have them custom made