Re: Jagger Update

__/ [David] on Saturday 29 October 2005 23:05 \__

> On Sat, 29 Oct 2005 16:39:56 +0100, Roy Schestowitz
> <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>__/ [David] on Saturday 29 October 2005 16:11 \__

>>> Where do people get this stuff from?
>>

> You got this from Googleguy, please tell me you don't believe
> everything he says?

I am more /likely/ to. Based on things that have been said in the past, there
is evidence to suggest that he is reliable.

> At best he's their for pr reasons and at worst to send those learning
> SEO off in the wrong direction. I take everything he says with a pinch
> of salt (as a general rule I avoid that forum because he's there).

I agree about on PR (Public Relations) thing.

> If he's telling it how it is your site should gets it's SERPs back in
> the next 2 weeks. Is that how you read it Roy?
>
> If this is true why bother doing updates if all sites stay as they
> are? Updates are supposed to result in changes, with the main aim an
> improvement in the search results.

It usually means that spam gets removed and high-volume linkage that is
organic gets discarded.

>> <snip>
>>

>>Most people appear to be unaffected or unaware. Those who are affected
>>voice their concerns. I was also affected by Bourbon. Many people never
>>noticed its effect/s.
>
> When you check the SERPs you tend to find most SERPs are barely
> changed with near enough all updates, so it's not surprising it's only
> a handful of people being vocal. Over time sites either improve or
> loose SERPs, if the loss is a gradual process webmasters don't notice
> it as much as a "whack, no Google traffic anymore!!!" and won't
> complain.
>
> If you get hit badly during an update and then recover later this
> should tell you your optimisation is missing something as otherwise
> you'd not feel the update. My sites tend not to be rocked during the
> updates.

Past experience taught me that updates can halve the traffic throughout,
which is a result of SERP's changing. This was no only observed by myself.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Linux + tax = Mac OS = (Windows - functionality)
  1:20am  up 65 days  8:55,  5 users,  load average: 0.74, 0.55, 0.48