Re: Blog spammers using zombies?

  • Subject: Re: Blog spammers using zombies?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 03 Sep 2005 17:31:50 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.www.webmaster
__/ [WWW-Webmaster] on Saturday 03 September 2005 11:54 \__

> I have to concur with Roy S. Schestowitz. I have been running dozens of
> geeklogs for a number of yrs and last year it didnt matter what you did
> to filter out possible spam comment attacks or upgrade your cms. In the
> end it was only wise to disable comments from those sites getting hit.
> The comment spammers always find a new way to get on your sites,
> especially if you have a decent google PR.
> Chris

Thanks for supporting my point.

__/ [Toby Inkster] added on Saturday 03 September 2005 15:01 \__

> I've started getting a bit of comment spam on my site, so I've switched
> from retro-moderation to full moderation. Seems to have slowed down a bit
> since.

You still need to manually handle comments, which can become a nuisance. If
it hasn't yet become a nuisance, you are yet to see the worst. As long as
there is financial incentive, the spammers will continue to hit. Getting
zombies/proxies is easy, losing them is rare.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | "These characters were randomly picked"
  5:25pm  up 10 days  5:36,  5 users,  load average: 0.23, 0.28, 0.31