Re: Reporting zombies?

__/ [John Bokma] on Saturday 03 September 2005 23:48 \__

>> continue to hit. Getting zombies/proxies is easy, losing them is rare.
>
> I enhanced my blog log capabilities, and everything that gets through is
> reported to ISP(s) (I might automate that step).
>
> One way to get zombies down (I am convinced that this is zombie work) is
> to make ISPs aware that this /is/ happening.

System admin likes doughnut. System admin rarely cares about spam. Many of
the IP addresses that I checked (going almost a year back when I still
bothered) are located in faraway places and there are so many of them.
Their only commonality is that they point to the same Web sites.

Trying to fight the comment spammers is like squashing a single mosquito
while sitting by a swamp on a sunny day. It takes a communal effort or an
international crackdown. Most people are either indifferent or lazy.

Any sites that exposes itself for contribution is bound to suffer. I had a
daily lump of spam in my guestbooks and public Wiki as well. The exceptions
at the moment are Gallery (no URL's allowed) and PHP-Nuke.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | "Error, no keyboard - press F1 to continue"
  6:40am  up 10 days 18:51,  3 users,  load average: 0.07, 0.22, 0.31