Re: photoshop healing

  • Subject: Re: photoshop healing
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2005 06:23:51 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.graphics.apps.gimp
__/ [Noons] on Wednesday 07 September 2005 03:08 \__

> anthony wrote:
>> as i am new to gimp and not sure of the all the great funtions in the
>> program, i was wondering if anyone could tell me if there is a function
>> like the photo hop 'healing' function, where it blends in the cloned
>> pixels making it so there is not an abrupt change when touching up
>> photos such as wrinkles around the eyes etc
>
> Don't think there is a specific tool to do that.
> But what I do:
> - duplicate layer twice, call them A(top) and B.
> - Gblur with 15 layer B. Make sure you select it first!
> - Select layer A, get the eraser tool at low activation
> and rub away at the bits you want to "blend".
> - Once happy with result, merge A down to B.
>
> Works to clear up all sorts of little messes, dust and hair
> lines (with heavier Gblur), smooth skin in portraits (with
> lighter Gblur), and all sorts of other small variations.
>
> The main difference in Photoshop is that many graphical
> manipulations are "packed" into tools whereas in GIMP
> you do them using the basic principles.

I beg to differ. The GIMP has been packing many functions and bits of fine
granularity and formed higher-level Script-Fus and user-friendly GUI's such
as Lens Flare, The Gimpressionist,  and so forth. It is all an evolutionary
process and as the GIMP reaches the mediocre user, the community caters for
simplifications. GIMPShop, which now has a home, goes as far as cloning the
Photoshop exterior.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | "Hack to learn, don't learn to hack"
  6:15am  up 13 days 13:32,  4 users,  load average: 0.37, 0.36, 0.41