Re: In case anybody hasn't seen it, slashdot/css

  • Subject: Re: In case anybody hasn't seen it, slashdot/css
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2005 04:01:47 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.html
__/ [Toby Inkster] on Friday 09 September 2005 01:09 \__

> Amos E Wolfe wrote:
>
>> I like the fact that (in Firefox anyway) you can select another
>> stylesheet by selecting View, Page Style, and selecting the other
>> stylesheet. In the
>> header it is linked as  <link rel="Alternate stylesheet"...> - is there
>> any way to make this selectable by the user clicking on a link?

Why not just register with Slashdot or enable cookies? User customisation is
rather simple that way. You may even be able to provide your own
stylesheet.

> So Firefox supports alternate style sheets now? Last time I tried
> it out seriously, it didn't; though Mozilla proper did. Most browser
> implementations of alternate style sheets so far have been pretty
> dumb though. Click on a link and you're back to the old style sheet.
> D'oh! Even the grand and venerable Opera suffers from this indecorum.

This seemed to have worked with Firefox last time I tired. I looked at the
source and there were simply cookies and JavaScript involved... loading the
style using JavaScript-based cookie analysis. Far from ideal, but still...

> A decent, useful alternative stylesheet mechanism still needs
> a cookie-based implementation, with either client- or server-side
> scripting. Anything else is a mere parlour trick.

Totally agreed. Time will mend this.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | "Turn up the jukebox and tell me a lie"
  3:55am  up 15 days  5:47,  3 users,  load average: 0.47, 0.56, 0.57