Re: SMTP

  • Subject: Re: SMTP
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2005 18:32:33 +0100
  • Newsgroups: uk.comp.misc
__/ [McSpreader] on Wednesday 07 September 2005 12:06 \__

> "F9" <Me@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in
>
>> Luckily I am allowed to connect a laptop to the university
>> system, but although I can get access to the net by using their
>> proxy, I cannot get any SMTP to work. POP3 is fine, but sending
>> is snafu.
>>
>> Is there an obvious solution to this?
>>

> Yes.
>
> If the Uni provides an email service, set up and use an account on
> their service as your default account in Outlook Express.
> Leave your existing email account settings as-is so incoming mail
> on your current ISP's service will be received.
>
> Otherwise use a web mail service - either your current ISP's
> service or www.mail2web.com

You might be trying to connect to the SMTP server without a University-owned
IP address. In that case, you might have to look into Authenticated Mail
Service (AMS), if any is provided.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | "These characters were randomly picked"
  6:30pm  up 14 days  0:58,  8 users,  load average: 0.72, 0.41, 0.40