Re: best way to zoom-click a thumbnail to replace an image?

__/ [Roedy Green] on Friday 09 September 2005 07:14 \__

> On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 04:32:10 +0100, Roy Schestowitz
> <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote or quoted :
>
>>http://www.cssplay.co.uk/menu/gallery4.html#nogo
>
> that's very clever. It does not even use JavaScript. The catch is it
> requires all the full images to load before it starts working.

Yes, I suspect there are better ways. I can think of something I once saw,
but no link... *frown*

> I have seen porn sites use a cruder version of this. They show thumbs
> using full images scaled down, then when you click the image can be
> fetched from cache even though the enclosing page comes from the
> server.

Pr0n sites don't attract the best Web developers in the employment pool.

> The problem is it is much slower, and wastes time for full images you
> never click.

Yes, I know. Loading pages entirely though with the exclusion of image /and/
without JavaScript is hard if not impossible. I have some XHMTL/CSS
presentations (S5-powered) where all graphics and text (and videos) are
loaded at the start, even if you watch one slide and a time.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Useless fact: There are five regular polyhedra
 11:35am  up 15 days 13:27,  3 users,  load average: 0.40, 0.25, 0.29