Re: Wiki Software for a technical domain

  • Subject: Re: Wiki Software for a technical domain
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2005 17:41:19 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.www.webmaster
__/ [Toby Inkster] on Saturday 10 September 2005 14:13 \__

> Matthias Kaeppler wrote:
>
>> Please note that it will NOT be a portal, I will first and foremost use
>> it as a personal platform; that means, posting and editing the site MUST
>> NOT be allowed arbitrarily to anyone, as in a normal wiki, but I need to
>> have control somehow over who and how someone is allowed to edit and
>> post.  I just don't want to risk having some kid dropping by which feels
>>   it has to delete everything I have written so far... You get the point.
>
> Try an early version of phpWiki -- at work I use 1.2.5. It probably won't
> have the features you need, but it is a very simple wiki, with fairly
> clean coding, so is very hackable. In particular, it should just be a few
> lines of PHP to restrict access to the edit form to just certain IP
> addresses.

I have two installations of an older version of phpWiki, but I would not
recommend that to anyone. Although I, as the administrator, have got the
power to lock and unlock pages, there have been breakages in the past (a
friend pasted some MSWord junk into the textarea and hit save) and I had to
restore from backups. Other than that, phpWiki has been quite reliable for
6 months although it lacks some features that other packages provide. You
may choose to argue that other packages are a feature bloat.

One aspect that I do like about phpWiki is easy customisation of the
stylesheets. Also, the simplicity of the code makes it easy to hack and
self-tailor.

Best of luck and best regards,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | "Free the mind, the source will follow"
  5:35pm  up 16 days 18:06,  3 users,  load average: 0.57, 0.89, 0.85