Re: Dreamweaver funtionality on Linux

__/ [SpaceGirl] on Sunday 11 September 2005 20:27 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> __/ [Robert] on Sunday 11 September 2005 13:11 \__
>>

>>>It seems to be a fairly trivial matter to set up (in Dreamweaver) the
>>>checking in and out of files from a remote server to avoid the problem
>>>of two people editing the same file at the same time.
>>
>> <SNIP>
>> Possibility #3: Set up a CVS repository where you work on your site/s. A
>> cron job will copy files from the repository to the Web
>> server/public_html area. We have that set up in the Division. Not only
>> can you lock files, but merging is possible too.

> #3 would be my choice. There is a good Windows client too (Tortois). CVS
> and Tortois are free.

Yes, many people in the Division use TortoiseCVS. There are a few challenges
to get past at this stage:

1) Setting up the repository. On your own computer? The colleague's
computer? An independent machine? The Web server? (do not make the
repository itself a Web server)

2) Making the cron job efficient. The more often you can poll and apply the
changes to the public directory, the less time you will have to spend
waiting for changes to appear on the Web.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | "Error, no keyboard - press F1 to continue"
 11:50pm  up 17 days 22:18,  3 users,  load average: 0.76, 0.65, 1.13