Re: Docbook, Html & PDF

  • Subject: Re: Docbook, Html & PDF
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 17:42:39 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.infosystems.www.authoring.html
__/ [bringmewater@xxxxxxxxx] on Thursday 15 September 2005 15:02 \__

> I checked out docbook and it's just too confusing.   I want to write a
> book and send it to multiple HTML files and a single PDF.  I want BOTH
> a table of contents and an index generated.  Are there any clear docs
> on how to do this or do i have to buy an expensive application?

No, read my message again if necessary (please always quote when replying in
UseNet)

==

I suggest that you look into LyX < lyx.org >, which is a front-end to LaTeX.
It produces semantically valid output as PDF, HTML, PostScript, and more.
If you would like to get a feel for the output:

http://www.othellomaster.com/OM/Application_Documentation/OMAD.html
http://www.othellomaster.com/OM/Application_Documentation/OMAD.pdf
http://www.othellomaster.com/OM/Application_Documentation/OMAD.ps

To get a feel for what the WYSIWYG interface is like, have a look at the LyX
Web site.

==

LyX will do all that you require including the generation of a table of
contents and an index. If you need a more advanced example of LyX output,
see the following:

PDF: http://www.schestowitz.com/Research/Continuation_Report
HTML: http://www.schestowitz.com/Research/Continuation_Report/HTML

The above includes a table of contents, list of figures, list of tables,
index, bibliography, floating figures and so forth. You needn't pay for any
tools. You just need to learn one.

I truly hope this helps. Please tell me if you insist on /not/ using LyX.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | $> sudo root; cd /; rm -rf *.doc
  5:35pm  up 21 days  5:49,  3 users,  load average: 0.36, 0.77, 0.67