Re: Ampersand in Google Search

__/ [Borek] on Saturday 17 September 2005 11:09 \__

> On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 04:25:22 +0200, Roy Schestowitz
> <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2005/09/googlebombing-failure.html
>
> Interesting: look at the "googlebombing" link:
>
> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&safe=off&amp;amp;amp;amp;...
>
> What are these amps for? Or where are they from, if it is a better
> question?
>
> Best,
> Borek

I believe that &amp; is simply an ampersand ("&", interesting origins too <
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ampersand >, which I once read about and sent
over to a friend).

Do you reckon this might be a tracking trick? They already appear to be
doing some tracking when searching for various terms. There are odd
re-directions going on in the results page, which you might notice if you
copy locations (links) from a SERP. I reckon that they don't /always/ have
these re-directions because with 100 million searches per day (or whatever
the true number is), they can get an enormous statistical sample from just
a fraction of the total query volume.

Just my opinion...

Roy S. Schestowitz      | "Free the mind, the source will follow"
  3:00pm  up 23 days  3:14,  3 users,  load average: 0.28, 0.36, 0.45