Re: Palm Desktop for Linux

__/ [jeff] on Saturday 17 September 2005 19:30 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> On the machine at the University (SuSE) I have KPilot installed and at
>> work (Ubuntu) I have JPilot. I have never worked with any of them, but I
>> did view the GUI's.
>>
>> I have just received a Mandrake box for home and it does not contain any
>> Palm Desktop replacement. I must synchronise my data with that machine,
>> however, as it is the only one owned by myself. I do not seek software
>> that will enable me to do much on the desktop side. I only need something
>> that will:
>>
>> 1) Back up my data and be compatible with models later than the Pilot (I
>> have a Tungsten)
>>
>> 2) Allow me to send files to the main memory and SD card (preferably)
>>
>> 3) Retain archives of erased data (wish list)
>>
>> Am I expecting too much? Which software should I use? There is a variety
>> out there, but not much of a survey. I have absolutely no idea what to
>> choose and I must install something immediately in order to back up my
>> data.
>>
> JPilot should be available on Mandrake (I have not checked recently,
> though).  If you can't locate an RPM, go to:
> <http://freshmeat.net/projects/jpilot/>.
>
> Jeff

Later this morning I managed to identify it in the package manager and
installed it without any trouble. I am now facing the issue of mounting the
device and getting it to communicate with the software. I spent almost half
an hour in vain and the following suggests that it might be tricky...

http://ask.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/05/13/0234225&tid=100&tid=4&tid=106

I first saw it when it was published and it became somewhat of a deterrent.
I had no problem getting my scanner and camera working, which ironically I
thought would give me the most trouble. It's the Palm which worries me now,
despite me thinking that it would be the simplest among the peripherals. I
need to get /dev/pilot mounted in some way or another, but I am yet to
spend plenty of time reading...

__/ [Roger] added on Saturday 17 September 2005 22:25 \__

> Yes, it does. At least my Mandrake box does. Just install KPilot/JPilot
> with urpmi. From the command line (as root):
> urpmi kpilot
> or:
> urpmi jpilot
>

> -Roger

Thanks Roger. If you have any pointers to HOWTO's, I'd greatly appreciate
it. All I can find is a scatter of forums, wherein people often brag about
getting it to work rather than saying how it got done, step-by-step that
is.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | "Software sucks. Open Source sucks less."
  1:55pm  up 24 days  2:09,  3 users,  load average: 1.26, 0.92, 0.69