Re: Mouse advice please

  • Subject: Re: Mouse advice please
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 14:19:48 +0100
  • Newsgroups: uk.comp.misc
__/ [John Fryatt] on Sunday 18 September 2005 13:44 \__

> Hi,
>
> Has anyone used a mouse like this one?
>
> <eBay : Brand-New-DELL-USB-Optical-Mouse-for-Laptop >

I have seen and used mice of that type as I occasionally work on people's
computers. I find those small mice rather inconvenient as they are hard to
get a grip of and the hand gets in contact with the surface. One may end up
gripping it like a sissy ; no offence to you or anyone in particular, but I
hope it helps convey a picture.

These are popular among people who use laptop and go for the minimalism in
terms of scale.

> I'm after a small mouse to use with my laptop PC, and wondered what
> these were like. Fairly obviously they aren't really Dell brand, but do
> they work ok, does the pointer move around smoothly etc. etc?

Unless you know the brand, hence the quality of component, it is hard to
tell. You would have to wait until someone with the exact same mouse
comments.

> I have tried one cheap off-brand already and it worked ok but not as
> nicely as my full-size microsoft mouse, in as much as it seemed more
> 'skittish' and the pointer didn't move around so smoothly or
> controllably. It was also _too_ small, and these are a little bit bigger.

Go for a mouse that you are very much used to and is not too heavy. Don't go
for exceptional designs like ergonomic keyboard unless you must. They ruins
habits and result in unnecessary inconsistencies.

> Yes, I know the answer is to get a decent brand, but the MS notebook
> mouse is USB only and I'd like USB & PS/2 compatibility, and I haven't
> usually found Logitech mice to my taste.

Me neither. I usually buy the cheap brands, which in terms of precision can
provide long-lasting perfection. There isn't much to a mouse beyond some
wheels, a standard sensor and clickers. Don't be fooled by too much kitsch.
Changing trends are just a way of driving the industry, persuading people
to 're-buy'. Many buttons or good scroller feedback, however, are a pro.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Software patents destroy innovation
  2:05pm  up 24 days  2:19,  3 users,  load average: 0.02, 0.37, 0.54