Re: Blank screen on laptop startup

__/ [ Epetruk ] on Saturday 01 April 2006 15:41 \__

> I'm having a problem with my Sony VAIO XP Professional laptop. When I start
> it up by pressing the power switch, the power indicator comes on, the
> DVD-Rom drive whirrs, but that's as far as it goes. I get nothing beyond a
> blank screen - no sound, nothing.
>
> I've tried putting an XP CD in, hoping that it will boot from there, but it
> makes no difference whatsoever. I can't get into the Boot Options screen to
> change or check anything.
>
> Any ideas what the problem might be?

If you don't even get to the BIOS screen, suspect that it's either a bad
monitor or a faulty motherboard. There is no point to using a boot disk.

You can diagnose the cause of the problem and identify the culprit. This
probably all depends on the activity of the computer, which probably needs
some tinkering/experimentation. Does the hard-drive rotate? Can you get any
beeps from excessive keystrokes (old-style computers)?

Hope it helps,

Roy S. Schestowitz
  8:05pm  up 24 days  9:48,  10 users,  load average: 0.56, 0.87, 0.94