Re: [Funny] An Idiot's Benchmark

  • Subject: Re: [Funny] An Idiot's Benchmark
  • From: Kelsey Bjarnason <kbjarnason@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 02 Apr 2006 14:20:58 -0700
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
On Sun, 02 Apr 2006 09:35:34 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> "Jorge Lopez is a DeVry graduate with an MCSE certification and is currently
> working as a Windows LAN Administrator."
>
> Anti-Linux
>
>         http://www.divisiontwo.com/articles/mcse2.htm

"I save a lot of time thanks to Windows XP, which brings me to another
area where Linux is lacking. As I am sitting here writing this column, my
computer is busily defragging my hard drive, running my virus scanner, and
I'm being shown a list of all the latest MS security patches that are
being remotely installed on my machine today. Why doesn't Linux come with
any defragmenting tools or virus scanners or Active Backdoor Update like
you get with Windows?"

Hmm... he *saves* time by doing things which are completely unnecessary in
Linux.  Let's re-state that: he *saves* time by doing *extra* and
*unnecessary* work.

Could someone explain to me how doing _more_ work, work that simply _does
not need to be done_, saves time?  With small words and maybe pictures?  I
confess, I do not get it.

As to the updates... I guess he's never seen adept or any of a half-dozen
other desktop tools which will do this, nor grasped the concept of cron
jobs, which will do it in the background, etc.