Re: [News] Intel Admits Falling Behind; Is Windows Next?

__/ [ philo ] on Sunday 30 April 2006 12:41 \__

http://money.cnn.com/2006/04/27/technology/fastforward_fortune0427intel/?cnn=yes

>> ,----[ Quite ]
>> | NEW YORK (FORTUNE) - Intel has finally admitted it's fallen behind,and
>> | now seems determined to bounce back.
>> |
>> | At its analyst meeting on Thursday, the company acknowledged throughout
>> | its recent decline in market share, technological leadership, and - as
>> | of the recently-announced quarter - profit margins.
>>

> <snip>
>
> It's more than just Microsoft.
> I recently built an X2-3800 based machine for my g.f. who uses it mainly
> for Photoshop CS2.
> IIRC , Adobe only listed Intel-based machines as those that will run CS2 !
>
> HAH!

They are dropping a large proportion of their prospective market right there.
They punish themselves.

Imagine a world where AMD/Motorola/IBM PPC/others do not exist. It is a
similar world to that where one operating system controls over 80% of the
home users market. Companies are willing to exclude everyone but the
monopolist, simply because it's financially viable. With that note, remember
how important the existence of AMD actually is.

The following was published a couple of days ago:

http://news.com.com/IBM+warms+to+AMD+Opteron+servers/2100-1010_3-6066330.html

                [ IBM warms to AMD Opteron servers ]

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    YaSTall SuSE to figure out the magic
  7:20pm  up 3 days  2:17,  14 users,  load average: 0.38, 0.45, 0.44