Re: IBM Pushes Linux Into the Mainstream

__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Wednesday 02 August 2006 17:37 \__

> begin  oe_protect.scr
> nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:
>> It's interesting that IBM, which has done so much to promote Linux
>> (including television ads, "The Future is Open"), has not shown any
>> interest in the desktop.  This may be a first.  Perhaps it is because
>> they haven't seen a lot of money in the desktop.  Article seems
>> balanced to me.
>>

> They did recently release Lotus Notes for linux, and word is that
> they've been deploying desktop linux internally, as well.  I think a few
> larger corps doing this, along with all the governments which are going
> the same way, will lead to top-notch desktop distributions in short
> order.  Ubuntu is already leading the way.

IBM has also waved a high-profile bounty for corporations that embrace Notes.
IBM has got to get its employees to eat their own dogfood, or face FUD.

Best wishes,

GNU/Linux is beautiful. < http://youtube.com/watch?v=lawkc3jH3ws >
  6:05pm  up 13 days  6:20,  10 users,  load average: 0.26, 0.30, 0.33