Re: [News] Google, Real and Mozilla Create Software Bundle

__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Thursday 03 August 2006 06:32 \__

> begin  oe_protect.scr
>> __/ [ Mark Kent ] on Wednesday 02 August 2006 17:35 \__
>>
>>> begin  oe_protect.scr
>>> Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:

>>> Wonder if Real will open all of their codecs ever?
>>
>> Or even code. I am frequently told that they have RealPlayer phone home,
>> for self benefit.
>
> Well, the Helix player is open, isn't it?  I presume it's the same
> player as their "realplayer", but with different codecs, but I could be
> presuming incorrectly.  Afairc, you could switch off all the "phone
> home" stuff on RealPlayer, but by default it was switched on, which
> isn't very nice.

Yes, indeed. When I had Real Player installed (by default) in Mandrake 9.2, I
came to realise that not only was it problematic, but it also sent the "Real
call centre" some information about what I was listening to. Greedy
RealNetworks. Greedy for information, that is... all for self gain.

>> I am told that IE7 will do so by default. Unlike Google, as I
>> discovered this afternoon.
>>
>> http://www.joelonsoftware.com/items/2006/08/01b.html
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| (2) I wrote that the Google Mini was "communicating with Google to get
>>| PageRank information for public pages." It turns out that it doesn't.
>>| Today I spoke to the product managers over at Google and they told me
>>| that because of all the customers who want to use the Mini on an
>>| Intranet, they are very religious about NOT phoning home to Google under
>>| any circumstances.
>> `----
>>

> I think Google are getting a bit of a rough ride at the moment... one
> has to wonder who'd want to give Google a bad name, just at the moment?

Earlier this morning I read the following:

http://alteviltech.com/blog/2006/08/01/rant-enough-of-the-google-saves-all-bs/

        Rant: Enough of the "Google Saves All" BS

I can't remember how I arrived at this page, but I suspect it was Digg. I
ought to be careful with what I say/cite because, as I told you in an E-mail
half an hour ago, Big G wants to hire me out of the blue (if I interpreted
last night's E-mail correctly).

Best wishes,

GNU/Linux is beautiful. < http://youtube.com/watch?v=lawkc3jH3ws >
roy      pts/5                         Thu Aug  3 07:28 - 07:28  (00:00)