Re: [News] Upgrade Complexity Dawns on Windows Vista

__/ [ JPB ] on Wednesday 02 August 2006 21:21 \__

> Stuart Krivis wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 31 Jul 2006 08:21:09 +0100, Roy Schestowitz
>> <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>>>The hard way:
>>>
>>>,----[ Microsoft unveils Vista upgrade matrix ]
>>>`----
>>>
>>>                http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060730-7384.html
>>>
>>>The easy (and free/Free) way:
>>>
>>>                http://distrowatch.com/
>>
>> Yes, because picking a distro from amongst hundreds is simpler than
>> picking a version of Vista. :-)

The list clearly gets the distributions ranked and categoried. If you know
your needs, you will be heading in the right direction. Since it's free, you
will have the option to change you mind without heavy regrets or problems.

>> I do think that the multiple versions of Vista could cause a lot of
>> confusion. But I'm not so sure that just pointing people at
>> distrowatch.com simplifies things or is "easy."
>>

> Distrowatch isn't a bad place to start, for anyone. Plenty of stuff to
> browse, and links to follow. Also there's a reason why Ubuntu is #1 in the
> page hit ranking, and looking at the first five I see:
> #1      Ubuntu
> #2      SUSE
> #3      Fedora
> #4      MEPIS
> #5      Mandriva
>
> all of which are also good places to start, together with lots of links to
> browse.
>
> What's not to like?

SCO UNIX.