Re: [News] Microsoft Sued Over Own Poison (IP)

__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Friday 04 August 2006 09:14 \__

> begin  oe_protect.scr
>> Microsoft, Nintendo sued over games controller
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| A case started in a Texas district court a few days back alleging
>>| that Nintendo and Microsoft had breached a game controller patent.
>>| Or two. Or more.
>> `----
>>
>>                 http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=33466
>
> I still find it hard to believe how it's possible to patent the use of
> something which it was clearly designed to do!  A pressure sensor senses
> pressure, that's what it does...
>
> I think the whole patent system is a total mess.

Its  messiness is the reason why FSF wants it out. How can a
programmer,   for  example,  work   Freely   (capitalisation
intended)  while  there are thousands of patents  out  there
that   restrict  the  use  of  particular   algorithms   (or
subcomponents) and subject these to accumulated royalties.

me  to  consider  some of the ridiculous patents  Bezos  has
collected  for Amazon. Even a site design that simplifies  a
shopping  experience  becomes  a violation; or the  idea  of
recommendation  based  on  past  preferences.  As  I   said,
Microsoft  is yet to witness why it's all poison that cannot
be  used  as  anti-Linux FUD (as it will never  stand  in  a
sane/European court).

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Linux + tax = Mac OS = (Windows - functionality)
Cpu(s):  18.6% user,   2.7% system,   0.6% nice,  78.1% idle