Re: Hijacking a Macbook in 60 Seconds or Less

"Roy Schestowitz" <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:288701411.W4xmxbeCXL@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
__/ [ chrisv ] on Friday 04 August 2006 14:04 \__

Hadron Quark checked our message ID's wihile writing:

I used windows for years in a technical
programming role and never got a single virus. Why? Because I never ran
attached executables and always scanned regularly.

Why did you need to "scan" if you never "got a single virus", Larry?

Good point, Chris.

Scan...

By "scan" I'm assuming Hadron Quark means "malware scan", and it's good advice, regardless of the OS. Occasionally, you'll get a binary without the source code that you DO want to run. E.g. if you download a proprietary game from a website. It's a good idea to scan it for op codes which, for example, attempt low level disk access.

Defrag...

Scandisk...

FWIW, I haven't Defrag or scandisked in years, and my computer seems to be running fine (i.e. random disk access does not seem overly slow). NTFS is the filesystem, if anyone's curious.

- Oliver