Re: Hijacking a Macbook in 60 Seconds or Less

"Jim Richardson" <warlock@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:o8pcq3-ai2.ln1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

On Fri, 04 Aug 2006 18:39:46 GMT,
Oliver Wong <owong@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

"Roy Schestowitz" <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:288701411.W4xmxbeCXL@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
__/ [ chrisv ] on Friday 04 August 2006 14:04 \__

Hadron Quark checked our message ID's wihile writing:

I used windows for years in a technical
programming role and never got a single virus. Why? Because I never ran
attached executables and always scanned regularly.

Why did you need to "scan" if you never "got a single virus", Larry?

Good point, Chris.

Scan...

By "scan" I'm assuming Hadron Quark means "malware scan", and it's good
advice, regardless of the OS. Occasionally, you'll get a binary without the
source code that you DO want to run. E.g. if you download a proprietary game
from a website. It's a good idea to scan it for op codes which, for example,
attempt low level disk access.

doesn't your system restrict that sort of stuff to the root or equiv user? Mine does...

You got me. What about scanning for programs that try to delete all the files the user has write permission to, though?

- Oliver