Re: Open Source and Linux Are Not Marxist

  • Subject: Re: Open Source and Linux Are Not Marxist
  • From: The Ghost In The Machine <ewill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 05 Aug 2006 05:00:04 GMT
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Darth Chaos
<DarthChaosofRSPW@xxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on 4 Aug 2006 20:31:21 -0700
<1154748681.503942.262600@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> Marx and Linux
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | There is one particular breed of wacko that appears to be on the rise,
>> | however. This variant of fruit loop thinks Linux is a foreign plot,
>> | created by Communists in an attempt to destroy America's software
>> | industry. They point to the fact that Richard Stallman, the founder of
>> | the Free Software Foundation, is apparently leftist in his politics,
>> | and that Linus Torvalds' father was a Communist, as if one's politics
>> | was transmitted through genes. These "Anti-Linux Patriots" cling to
>> | Windows rather like their forebears in lunacy clung to American cars,
>> | even if the Toyota next door was more reliable, had better gas mileage
>> | and didn't blow up like a Ford Pinto.
>> `----
>>
>>                                 http://www.linuxextremist.com/?p=72
>
> Linux is about choice. Communism has never been about choice. The real
> communists in these petty "Linux is communist" diatribes are the
> anti-Linux zealots who spew such inane crap.

And yet Linux is far more communistic than Stalin could
ever dream of being...though that's not inherently a bad
thing; one can take almost infinitely of freeware, and
then give back what one can -- the essence, as it were,
of the Communist Doctrine.

But one does have to be careful; after all, it has been
drilled into our skulls (at least here in the US, anyway)
that commies are bad, pinkos are evil, the USSR slaughtered
hundreds of millions of people in its atheist (diabolical)
quest to dominate half the world, etc. etc., or one can
point to Mao Ze Dong (aka Mao Tse Tung) and his Cultural
Revolution, affecting more than a billion Chinese, including
those in Nepal.

A heavily freighted word, "communism", and yet it's
based on the concept of a commune, a shared cooperative,
basically, in the ideal case anyway.  At least in open
source one doesn't have to worry quite as much about
oppressing the farmers by stealing their land. :-)

> Communism and capitalism are no different. Both use underhanded tactics
> to take away freedom from the Joe Averages of the world.

Communism and capitalism are both economic systems.
Authoritarianism and democracy are their political
implementations (in most corners of the world), and all
economies are hybrid anyway (else why would the US need
taxes and Russia the ruble?).

Of course all of these are merely models/abstractions of
various human behaviors anyway.  It gets complicated.

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Windows Vista.  Because it's time to refresh your hardware.  Trust us.