Re: OpenDarwin Shutting Down

  • Subject: Re: OpenDarwin Shutting Down
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 05 Aug 2006 08:47:05 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Saturday 05 August 2006 08:12 \__

> begin  oe_protect.scr
> Donn Miller <hackr_d@xxxxxxxxx> espoused:
>> http://www.opendarwin.org/en/news/shutdown.html
>>
>><quote>
>> Over the past few years, OpenDarwin has become a mere hosting facility
>> for Mac OS X related projects. The original notions of developing the
>> Mac OS X and Darwin sources has not panned out. Availability of sources,
>> interaction with Apple representatives, difficulty building and tracking
>> sources, and a lack of interest from the community have all contributed
>> to this. Administering a system to host other people's projects is not
>> what the remaining OpenDarwin contributors had signed up for and have
>> been doing this thankless task far longer than they expected. It is time
>> for OpenDarwin to go dark.</quote>
>>
>> Well, I'd say from the beginning Darwin was a worthless exercise in
>> futility, as the entire sources for OS-X weren't available.  Without the
>> full sources to OS-X, there really wasn't much point in running Darwin
>> in the first place.
>
> The halfway-house never seemed likely to succeed to me.  Apple never had
> any intention of opening this stuff up, they are a traditional lock-in
> vendor, with admittedly attractive and well-made products, but they rely
> on lock-in nevertheless.

Wouldn't you at least expect some handouts from Apple? I suppose SymphonyOS
/could/ also benefit from such aid, but where will it ever get any
donations? Returning to Apple, they are indeed based on lockins and it's
costing them. Sooner or later more people realise the problems that are
associated with lack of choice, slack standards support, DRM, and cost. Some
Linux distributions already look as appealing as Leopard (if not more
appealing) and they suffer from none of Mac's hidden deficiencies. In the
long term, you gain nothing by concealing some truths from the customer.
Bitterness, as well as the feeling of being trapped, is powerful.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Disk quota exceeded; sig discontinued"
Tasks: 127 total,   1 running, 123 sleeping,   0 stopped,   3 zombie