Re: And some were saying that Mac is 3-4 years ahead of Linux

__/ [ Geico Caveman ] on Monday 07 August 2006 21:21 \__

> I have been a Linux user since early 90s. We have had what you call virtual
> desktops for 12 years already (can't think of any window manager / desktop
> environment that does not have them - even the lowly twm - the ugliest
> looking one, does too). And Mac finally gets them (though it is not very
> clear how they circumvented Xerox's claims vis a vis commercial OS'es).
>
> Mac is more like half a decade behind Linux on so many things that make
> Linux such a productive and happy OS to work with. Fluff cakes going crazy
> at WWDC, I reckon.
>
> When OS X came out, retards like Oxford etc. were rushing into
> comp.os.linux.advocacy telling us how Mac was bringing Unix to people
> (never mind how Mac frustratingly refuses to behave like a Unix-like system
> in many ways). Now, "virtual desktops" are being claimed as an innovation.
> What is next, Maccies ? A claim how Mac has invented the zero ?

Also see:

http://yro.slashdot.org/yro/04/02/25/1346201.shtml

                Microsoft Seeks Patent On Virtual Desktop Pager

That was in 2004!

Did Apple actually /claim/ that it was their invention? Some hours ago I saw
this in:

http://www.apple.com/macosx/leopard/index.html

While I know that there are several third-aprty applications that used to
achieve this in OS X, I don't know how good they are (compared to the KPager
combination, for example) and how expensive they are.

Windows Longhorn, by the way, promised to deliver that too... _back in the
days_ ... virtual desktop extension in Windows appear to be third-party
extensions that are utter sh*te. At lease the ones I have seen in action.
It's funny that Microsoft Windows has become the underdog. But not in terms
of marketshare, owing to ignorance and lockins.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz     "Web 2.0 is everything that can be spammed" --Unknown
Mem:    514480k total,   477384k used,    37096k free,    44540k buffers